Friday, May 23, 2008

Mike and Lily's D- Day...

Lily and Mikey together with Mom and Dad for the First Time


I am finally back to writing. I should be sleeping but I want everyone to know our story. Here it goes...

As soon as we arrived at the hospital at 1pm on May 16th, 2008 they took us back no time to waste when you are getting ready to have twins. We were taken into a prep room to get ready for the C-section immediately they put a IV in me and that was one of the worst parts of having these babies. I have bad veins and they roll and are small so let me tell you this really really put me in a mood. After the IV was in place I was in massive pain so we iced the area for a while. They got Eddie his daddy outfit to wear in the operating room and that was fun to see. So while waiting one of the nurses came in that was going to be taking care of one of our babies which I thought it was nice and then Dr. MC Guirk came in and answered those last minute questions that I had all which had to do with the care of the babies after they were out. He assured me that they would be fine and that a neonetologist was close by if needed.
Look at that big belly in the bed. This was our holding area.
Eddie insisted on one last photo of the Belly before the babies came out.
Eddie in his OR outfit.

So after our beautiful babies were born and I was in recovery. I was told that I was going to get a large dose of Magnesium to help me not have seizures or brain swelling because of the Preeclampsia. Then I was going to be on an IV drip for 24 hours so I would not be able to leave my bed. I was placed in my room and was still loopy from a sedative they gave me after the babies were born to relieve some of my anxiety.

Lily and Mikey were put into the transition nursery and Lily had low blood sugar and then Mikey was put in the NICU because of breathing issues and low blood sugar. Both were kept in the nurseries and were monitored. I was also being monitored because of the Magnesium.

So let me summarize the rest. They took me off the Magnesium early I went to the RR for the first time passed out and they had to use about 5 smelling salts to get me to come to. I was put in a wheel chair and put back into bed for another 5 hours. Finally at 5 on Saturday night was I wheeled to the NICU to see my baby Mikey. I briefly held my poor little baby that was hooked up to IVS and cried. Luckily everything started to looked great with Mikey immediately and he was released into the regular nursery on Sunday Morning.
This is some of our birth story and there is tons more but I have more to write about. Thanks for checking in and reading about our family!
Love,
Laura

1 comment:

dorothy bailey said...

5-25-08
What more can I say. You and Eddie make beautiful babies. Hoope you are beginning to get a little strength. Talk to you soon. Darty